As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said: “Speech is power: speech is to persuade, to convert, to compel.”
The award-winning St. Anne Speech Team is open to all 6th, 7th and 8th grade students who want to improve their public speaking skills through participation in at least two middle school speech tournaments during December through February where they compete by delivering two speeches, three times each day. Across a number of speech categories, students gain experience organizing their thoughts and delivering speeches with energy, emotion, expression, gestures, proper pace and timing, and more. It’s a positive, team-based experience that they will take with them their whole lives. Practices start in mid-October and are held in the evening, one time per week at St. Anne school. The season commences at the end of February. Tournaments take place at Blanchet, Seattle Prep, and other high schools.
Click for: Information Flyer
- Debate club: Meeting day: Tuesday 3:15 – 4:15 Duration: 9 weeks (No club meeting the week of Thanksgiving) Coach: Abbie Shew Target registration start date: Sept 20th First day of club meeting: Oct 11th Abbie Shew’s bio: Abbie Shew is a PhD Candidate in Communications at the University of Washington and a Visiting Assistant Professor of Communications at the University of Puget Sound. ...Read more
- Attention 4th and 5th Graders!! Join the St. Anne Debate Club with Coach Cheryl Overbey! Tuesdays, 3:15-4:15pm March 5th-May 28th (no class 4/23) $265- 12 sessions (tuition includes $25 tournament fee) Annual City Wide Tournament Saturday, June 1st Join us for the Spring Tournament Session! DebateAble Clubs make learning to debate fun while kids grow as critical thinkers, confident public speakers, and ...Read more
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS! There will be a Speech Team information night for all Middle School students and parents interested in Speech Team on Tuesday, October 2, 2018 from 7 PM to 8 PMRead more
- DebateAble sign ups are live now! Click though for more info!Read more
- In St. Anne’s first year in Debatable, coach Cheryl Overbey led 16 participants in the June 9th competition at Catherine Blaine School. Debaters had to write the affirmative and negative to “Should tablets replace text books in Elementary school”. Regina De Villasante received the award for best debater from our school. Mae Overbey, Campbell Downer, Zoe Onwuneme and ...Read more