5th Grade at OPI 2023!
April 4, 2023
Welcome to this most important week in our liturgical year when we journey in faith through the Passion of our Lord. As 6th grade teacher Ms. Raney said so beautifully in her weekly update: “The procession for Palm Sunday and the reading of the Passion of our Lord at Holy Mass were a call for us to walk together into the darkness of the Passion, knowing of the Resurrection and the bright dawn of hope on the other side.” We have spent this season of Lent in prayer, fasting and almsgiving. We have come together daily for prayer with a decade of the rosary, reflection on the stations of the cross and gathered CRS Rice Bowls to help our greater community. Do not forget to bring in your Rice Bowls this week if you haven’t already. This week offers some beautiful faith opportunities:
- April 6: Holy Thursday
- Last Supper Service (7pm at the church)
- April 7: Good Friday
- Simple Meal (at all regular school lunches)
- Living Stations of the Cross (2:15pm at the church, led by 5th & 8th grade students)
- Silent Dismissal from school
- Good Friday Service (7pm at the church)
- April 8: Holy Saturday
- Easter Vigil Mass at 8:30pm
- April 9: Easter Sunday
- 8am and 10am Mass
- Easter hunt after 10am Mass
- Door Decorating Contest: At Prayer Assembly today our auction chairs, Susan Leonardson, Lori Roozen, Heatherlyn Genna and Rebecca Levich launched the classroom “Footloose” door decorating contest with testimonials from 7th grade students about what they loved about the Friday Auction Family Night and played a memorable dance video sequence from the movie.
- Fund-it: This year’s fund it has three important components:
- New Intercom System & Sound Upgrades – $50,000
- Endowment: Faculty Salary Support through additions to the Mary Siderius Sherman Principals’ Endowment Fund – $25,000
- Learning to Learn – $25,000
- Funds raised will be used to bring in learning experts to provide an executive function skill training program for the 2023/24 school year for students, parents, and teachers. The new program will give monthly learning focus topics, hands-on classroom instruction, speaker series, workshops, and coaching clinics; something for everyone.
- Order Class Art Wine
- Each class created an original art piece for the wine labels.
- Friday is the last day to order!
- This is a huge and important fundraising piece of the auction–and it is always nice to have good wine to share with family and friends.
- Auction Invitation
- Are being sent out tonight!!!!!!!
- Hope to see you all there.
- Welcome back to our 5th grade students who spent a memorable three days last week in outdoor education at OPI. Take time to ask one of our 5th graders about their experience!
This is the time of year where we start the hiring process for staffing changes. We feel so fortunate in the quality staff we have and because of this the changes are bittersweet. We are excited for the new opportunities they have but know that we will miss the good work they do. Next year will see these staffing changes.
- Our 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Danielle Meneses will not be returning and we are seeking a 3rd grade teacher for the position.
- Our 1st grade teacher Mrs. Dahlman will be moving back to Montana with her family and we are seeking a 1st grade teacher for the position.
- Our Drama/Music teacher Ms. Faltinson will be stepping away from the K-5 Music instruction but staying on as the drama elective teacher for the middle school. We are seeking a new, half time, K-5 music teacher.
- Our 7th grade homeroom and middle school Social Studies teacher Ms. Claire Marr will move into a new role at the school as the full time Educational Technology Specialist. She is currently finishing her masters in that area. We are seeking a new 7th grade homeroom, middle school Social Studies teacher.
We look for qualified candidates through the Archdiocesan Frontline hiring site and through referrals. I will keep you updated on further information about this and any other staffing changes as we move through this process.
Important Events on the Calendar this month:
- April 7: Simple Meal for all school
- April 7, 2:15pm: Good Friday Stations of the Cross put on by the 5th and 8th grade classes. All are welcome. There is a silent dismissal at the end of Stations.
- April 10-14: No School–Easter Break