Happy Valentine’s Day!
February 14, 2023
Happy Valentine’s Day to all of you from all the staff!
Thank you to all who came to the State of the School last week! I appreciated your thoughtful questions and input on our school and programs.
Last Friday the staff attended the Archdiocesan Regional Curriculum Day. It included a wide variety of Zoom workshops such as Universal Learning by Design work, equity discussions, student accessibility, teacher leader training, early learning training, integration of technology in education and using MindCraft to enhance Language Arts learning to name a few. On Wednesday, the staff will be sharing best practices from these workshops. We will use this to identify some instructional work we would like to do as a staff.
We started this week off with a beautiful Prayer Assembly focused on all the important components of love. Ms. Earnst walked us through Corinthians 13 and helped us think about how we can incorporate the qualities of love in our daily lives: “Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. We will lean into kindness this week.
Next week is our Winter Break. And it is the start of Lent! It is unusual for us to not be together for Ash Wednesday. The church will be offering Mass at 12:00pm and 7:00pm on Wednesday, February 22, 2023. When we return from break, our school will be engaging in a prayerful Lenten journey that will culminate in our 8th grade and 5th grade Stations of the Cross on April 7. You will be hearing more about that when we come back.
Congratulations to our Speech Team! On Saturday, February 4, 18 of our middle school students participated in the Seattle Prep Speech Tournament. A special thank you to Kevin Burkhart and Mr. Talevich for their lead coaching of the team. The team took 3rd place overall and here were the awards:
- Novice Dramatic Interpretive, Stella Tuminello and Juliette Stack were finalists, and Juliette won second place.
- Novice Impromptu, Finn Wingert was a finalist.
- Novice Editorial Commentary, Sebastian deVillasante was a finalist, and won third place.
- Open Duo, Henry Pitts and Santiago Rodrigo Dermody were finalists and won third place.
- Open Impromptu, Alex Hession was a finalist.
- Open Expository, Kellen Matt was a finalist and won second place.
- Open Editorial Commentary, Henry Pitts and Camden Kiefer were finalists. Camden won first place, earning a scholarship to Seattle Prep.
Footloose Auction News!:
- Parent Procurement continues!
- Donations due by March 3.
- Do not hesitate to reach out to Monica Flora or the auction chairs if you have questions.
Dates for your Calendar this month!
- Friday, February 17 at 1:30pm: Rescheduled 8th Grade vs. Teacher Volleyball Game in Banchero Hall
- Friday, February 17: All School FREE DRESS
- February 20-24: NO SCHOOL–Winter Break
Wishing all of you a restful winter break.